Thursday, June 30, 2016

A Slice of Cheesecake Chapter 1 (part 1)



Chapter 1- Flame Lit

“I think this design is good,” I showed Lisa the image from my tablet. “Too girly for a CEO party, what’s with those flowers? I prefer the black one with gold letters-it screams RICH!”

“Okay, I admit black one is better,” I sighed. “Guess I will email him the draft”
“Your dreamy prince, eh?”
“L-Lisa, cut it out”
“What? You’ve been talking about him days long to the point I almost called my dad ETHAN.”
“You’re horrible”, I laughed out loud
“But better not be too involved, eh? Dudes like them… Rich men are mostly bad”
“I know, MOM”
“Jerk!”, we both laughed again

I emailed him the invitation draft and design blueprint before heading out to the restaurant in charge of his event’s menu. What kind of restaurant, you ask? Nah, nothing fancy. Just huge enough to be mistaken as a hotel.  How rich is his family?, I shrugged. A woman in suit, probably the manager, handed me their thick menu book. 

“My name is Ross Bricks, I heard you’re arranging Mr Ethan’s party”
“Yes, what do you recommend here?”
“I’d personally recommend our foei gras and truffle salad for Western food. We also have lots of exotic menus like Japanese Sashimi Ishikari Nabe or Korean’s…”
“Nothing too fancy, Mr Ethan’s orders”
“Fine then. Just read the menu and decide”

I flipped through the pages, ignoring the prices that looked like the sum I used up to buy pricey skincare products. As instructed, I listed down various kinds of pasta, cakes, sandwiches desserts, roasted meat and some salad. Not long after I texted Ethan the menu list , he replied:
Go ahead, good enough. Please also prepare vintage wine and some grape juice

“I’d like to place order according to this list,” I handed to Ms Bricks. She just nodded in confirmation and reconfirmed number of guests, location and time. Another text, Come to Royale Tailors. Here’s a pic of the map. Ethan? Telling me to come without even explaining. Oh well, clients…

I headed to Royale Tailors, about half an hour from the restaurant. When I reached the restaurant however, I was greeted by a small but very vintage-looking wooden store. The sign said ”Royale Tailors”. Timidly, I opened the door. Ethan was there, wearing a golden suit covering his white shirt. 
He was wearing black trousers. I had to admit, he looked fabulous.

“You’re here,” he smiled
“Good day, Sir. How may I help you?”
“Drop the formalities, Pamela. Come help me choose clothes. I can’t decide”

Ethan was holding two suits : Maroon and brown. In addition with the gold one he was wearing, he couldn’t seem to decide which looks better. I thought for a second, the majority of his party’s decoration was white. Maroon would look too dark for a white party, gold is nice but a bit flashy, brown…Hmmm…

“Black is better”
“That’s so boring”
“….”
Ethan chuckled, ”But I admit suits look best in black. Okay then”

He finished his purchases and put the bags inside his car (Yes, BAGS-he ended up buying all of them). “So now where are you going, Pam?” “Back office, I reckon. Have you checked my email?” I asked. He stared at me like he just remembered something and smiled, ”Oh yes, I have just a little things to add. Let’s go and have some coffee while we discuss”

“SIR, I need to go back to the office”
“I insist”
Okay, I lost-“…An hour” “Fine, an hour it is”

I sent the office driver to go back office ahead and joined Ethan in his car. His car had that…funny but yummy scent. A sweet…scent. “You like my new car perfume?” “What scent is this?” “Cheesecake”.

Eh?

“I’m serious,” he made pouty face. “People do say I am a bit strange. My home chef dried some cheesecake and made them aromatherapy”
I burst out laughing, “There is a limit to how much you love cake!”
“Not for cheesecakes”

We reached the coffee shop and got out of his car. I spotted some men wearing black suits and sunglasses standing around the coffee shop, plus some customers who were frightened. “I wonder if any government people is here, with all these bodyguards”. Ethan smiled, “Maybe, this coffee shop sells premium quality coffee after all. What’s your preference in coffee?”

“I prefer tea, matcha latte with lots of cream”

Ethan blinked and stared at me in surprise, “You are…Quite honest. You’re not planning to be sophisticated and order Earl Grey blend instead?”

“No. Matcha  with cream”

Ethan burst out laughing as he opened the door and signaled me to step inside first. I was greeted by strong coffee smell which somehow made me relax. Ethan walked to the counter and ordered while I sat and waited for him. He not long after joined me and smiled,

“So… Regarding the invitation, I just want you to add golden ribbon as decoration”
“That’s all?”
“Yup”
“You could have texted me”
“But I want to drink some coffee with the company of a lady. Is that wrong?”

The waiter bought a cup of black coffee and a cup of creamy matcha latte, plus two slices of cheesecake. He placed our orders on the coffee table and smiled before going back to his post. Ethan sipped his coffee and sighed in relief,

“Why are you in such a rush to go back office? I thought job was boring”

“It is, but must still be done to earn…Cash. I guess young masters like you wouldn’t understand” Crap, I’m being so rude.”I-I don’t mean it that way…” Ethan just stared at me while sipping his coffee, “You are right. Sorry, I don’t understand you as you don’t understand me”
“Eh?”

"It is easy to say how others live lives better, how others are happier and won't understand their hardships...

Exactly, like how the speaker doesn't understand that person's hardships too and speak above lightly. Maybe that person actually thinks about how happy the speaker is. I for one, admire people like you who are dedicated to job.

Everyone cannot run away from life problems. What seems trivial to you may be big for that person. Telling someone not to act sissy and depressed when they're factually depressed is evil. People never really understand each other

There is a story behind all stories. It is over when people judge only by seeing or hearing one-sided what others say without confirming. But who am I to speak? Just another human. Do you agree with me, Pamela?"

My face flushed, he was right. “You are right. I’m…Sorry”. He didn’t say a word and smiled, yet somehow his eyes stared at the distance. His mind had wandered somewhere. There was a long, comfortable silence. “But, as you could speak of such words, I am sure you too have pent-up frustration inside you. As I see now you are perfect but your heart may speak differently. That is why we need to know each other more”

What?

This is why I kind of hate this guy sometimes, he… stares at you as if he is looking straight to your soul. I feel bared and it makes me uncomfortable. I wasn’t sure where to look and kept staring at my cup. Timidly, I looked up and he was still staring and smiling.

“S-stop that,okay?”
“You seem to say whatever comes to your mind, and I appreciate that. Oh well, I think I have wasted your time quite enough. I will drive you ba—“

A man in suit rushed to Ethan and whispered something. Then I saw his eyes changed, not the kind gaze he showed me before. They were fierce, determine and subconsciously I shuddered. “…I understand. Dispatch the men around the area, I will be there after driving her back”
He stood up, his expression cold

“Let’s go, Pamela. Sorry, I am in a bit of hurry”
“O…Okay”

I wasn’t sure what was happening. Some bodyguards ran around, barking orders with transceivers as Ethan calmly walked out of the store and drove me back. I tried asking what was going on but he simply gave me vague answers as if cuing not to ask further.

Ethan is a very warm and friendly man,
But that day I could see he is also a very cold man

And I wasn’t sure anymore about who I was with. Nor was I understanding what was happening at that time. The car radio kept playing jazz song and the cheesecake smell lingered…

1 comment: